Image 1 of 3

A Pair of Blue John Vases
England, circa 1830

A magnificent pair of large scale early 19th century blue john vases of campana form. Each vase formed of turned concentric rings of particularly fine blue john fluorspar specimens, standing on square plinth bases.

A rare fluorspar has been mined at the Treak Cliff at Castleton in Derbyshire since Roman times. However, it was not until about 1760 when it once again became fashionable – when it began to be used in the manufacture of highly expensive luxury objects by the Birmingham entrepreneur Matthew Boulton – as well as for tourist mementoes for people visiting the mines from the newly fashionable spa towns of Buxton and Matlock.

It was Matthew Boulton who fully exploited the decorative qualities of blue john by combining it with striking ormolu mounts.

Height 35.00cm (13.78 inches)
Width 21.00cm (8.27 inches)
Depth 21.00cm (8.27 inches)


Reference - O06.91