Image 1 of 5

Thomas Chippendale: A Pair of George III Mahogany Side Chairs
England, 1770

An outstanding pair of George III mahogany side chairs attributed to Thomas Chippendale. The upholstered arched back and serpentine fronted seat, raised on finely carved fluted tapering front legs each surmounted by a domed block paterae and terminating in block capital feet, the rear legs splayed. The mahogany and and carving of the highest quality.

It is understood that identical chairs to these remain in situ at Aske Hall, North Yorkshire.

A stool of identical form, previously with Norman Adams (9 April 1981), was sold Christie’s London, 50 Years of Collecting: The Decorative Arts of Georgian England, 14 May 2003, lot 129 (£33,186).

The pattern of the stool and of our chairs appears identical to a suite of chairs that remain at Aske Hall, Yorkshire, but seem more likely to have been originally supplied to Sir Lawrence Dundas (d. 1781) for 19 Arlington Street. There were two very closely related suites, one in giltwood with legs headed by scrolls, and one in mahogany without scrolls.

The giltwood suite was illustrated in Country Life in the 1930s whilst still at Arlington Street and a stool from it was sold Christie’s London, 31 January 1999, lot 113. Part of the remainder of the suite was sold by Cicely, Marchioness of Zetland, Christie’s London, 10 May 1973, lot 123.

Sir Lawrence Dundas was a considerable client of Thomas Chippendale and spent £1,300 in 1764. The extremely high quality of the timber of these chairs, and the Christie’s stool, the restrained neo-classical design and patera-headed herm legs suggest that Thomas Chippendale may well have made these pieces.

Height 38.00inch (96.52 cm)
Width 24.50inch (62.23 cm)
Depth 24.50inch (62.23 cm)


Reference - M12.140