A very fine George III mahogany drum or library table by W & C Wilkinson. The circular top with finely gilt tooled green leather inset surface with four true drawers and four false drawers in the frieze. Supported on a turned 'gun-barrel' tapering stem and four reeded outswept tapering legs which terminating in brass caps and castors. Retaining its original handles, locks and castors. The drawer linings made of solid mahogany.
One drawer stamped 'W & C WILKINSON 14 LUDGATE HILL 1964'
A particularly fine quality example. Very good colour and patina to the mahogany.
Previously with Apter-Fredericks Ltd. 1990
Private Collection London
Height: 29¹/₂ in (75 cm) Width: 41³/₄ in (106 cm) Depth: 41³/₄ in (106 cm)
The Wilkinson firm was found by Joshua Wilkinson in 1766 with workshops in Broker’s Row, Moorfields within the City of London. By 1808 his son William had established a presence at 14 Ludgate Hill. The firm went through several name changes as it evolved, and on William’s death in 1833, his own sons changed the furniture stamp to ‘W & C WILKINSON 14 LUDGATE HILL. In 1855, the business moved to Old Bond Street. The firm produced furniture of the highest quality and used the finest materials.