An exceptional pair of George III 21 inch celestial and terrestrial globes by John Cary (1755 - 1835), raised on superb mahogany stands, the tripod legs fluted and tapering, joined by cross stretchers with a central compass and ending in brass castors.
The mahogany stands of the finest quality.
The terrestrial globe inscribed: ‘Cary’s New Terrestrial Globe, exhibiting the Tracks and Discoveries made by Captain Cook; Also those of Captain Vancouver on the North West Coast of America and M. de la Perouse, on the Coast of Tartary. Together with every other Improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. London’.
The celestial globe inscribed: ‘Cary’s New and Improved Celestial Globe, on which is carefully laid down the whole of the Stars and Nebulae, contained in the Astronomical Catalogue, of the Revd. Mr. Wollaston, F.R.S. compiled from the Authorities of Flamsteed, de la Caille, Hevelius, Mayer, Bradley, Herschel, Maskelyne & c. With an extensive number from the Works of Miss Herschel. The whole adapted to the year 1800, and the Limits of each Constellation determined by a Boundary Line. London’.
Height: 46 in (117 cm) Width: 27¹/₈ in (69 cm) Depth: 27¹/₈ in (69 cm)
One of the most important globe making firms of the early 19th century. Founded by John Cary (1755 -1835), an engraver and map seller. In 1770, he was apprenticed to William Palmer and made a freeman in 1778. He started his globe making business in 1791, when he advertised terrestrial and celestial globes in a variety of sizes, from 3.5 in to 21 in. Cary's firm was located at 181 The Strand and in about 1820 he moved to 86 St. James's Street. His two sons, George and John, remained in the Strand premises, also in the globe making business.