Height: 39³/₈ in (100 cm)
Width: 28 in (71 cm)
Depth: 20⁷/₈ in (53 cm)
This superb chair comes from the celebrated collections of Hackwood Park, Hampshire. Hackwood was the seat of the Dukes of Bolton and subsequently the Barons Camrose. Christie's held a landmark sale of much of the contents 20 - 22 April 1998. This chair was lot 124.
Hackwood Park was built in the late 17th century after the destruction of Basing House, the Marquess of Winchester's former seat in 1645. The 6th Marquess was created Duke of Bolton in 1689 and in addition to Hackwood, he build Bolton Hall in Yorkshire. The 5th Duke substantially rebuilt Hackwood in the early 1760s to the designs of John Vardy, which included the design and supply of magnificent furnishings, in particular an outstanding series of giltwood mirrors and pier tables. Robert Adam drew up designs for Hackwood that were never executed. On the death of 6th Duke in 1794, the Dukedom became extinct and the Marquessate passed to another branch of the family. In 1797, Thomas Orde, who had married Mary Browne-Powlett, the daughter of the 6th Duke, was created Baron Bolton. In 1805, he engaged Samuel Wyatt to remodel Hackwood. Between 1850 and 1935, Hackwood was let, with only short periods of family occupation, including to Lord Curzon when he retired as Viceroy of India. The positive to this period of letting was little if any Victorian intervention and alteration took place at the house and it retained a significant part of its original 18th century contents.
In 1935, the house was sold to William Berry, 1st Baron (and subsequently 1st Viscount) Camrose whose fortune, taste and interest brought about a revival in the fortunes of this great house. Lord Camrose was a true collector in every sense of the word with an eclectic taste. Hackwood Park provided Camrose with a home for his rapidly expanding collection, to which he added a high proportion of the original contents which had been included with the purchase of the property.