signed H.W. Williams lower right
watercolour, mounted and giltwood frame
17 in x 25 ½ in (43 x 65 cm)
Hugh William Williams
Hugh William Williams (1773-1829) was a Scottish painter known for his depictions of landscapes. He began his artistic career training under David Allan and Alexander Nasmyth. He later befriended J. M. W. Turner, who was an important influence as well as an admirer of Williams' work
He received the nickname 'Grecian Williams' after his extensive travels in Italy and Greece between 1816 and 1818, which greatly influenced his painting style and approach. Upon his return he published Travels in Italy, Greece, and the Ionian Islands, which provides a detailed itinerary of his journey. Williams held an 1822 exhibition of watercolours based on his tour throughout Europe which was widely praised. The following year, Williams was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Today Williams' work is represented in museums at the National Gallery of Scotland, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, the British Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, and many other notable public collections.
The watercolour depicts a bucolic landscape of Loch Kay with Kenmore Church and bridge. An almost identical view painted by Williams was exhibited at the Royal Academy in London in 1800.