signed and dated Rowlandson 1794, and inscribed Place de Mer lower right
pencil, pen and ink and watercolour, on paper
16 x 21 ¾ in (40.6 x 55.3 cm)
(Probably) Matthew Michell, Sothebys, London 1818 (sold 9 gns.) H.E. Ten Cate; Amsterdam, 20 December 1958, lot 99 (400 gns. to The Fine Art Society) Exhibited Fine Art Society, London, November 1959 Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 25 May 1984, lot 370
As with The Fish Market at Amsterdam, Rowlandson has taken really particular care with the topography and detail of this view. During the sixteenth century La Place de Mer became one of Antwerp’s most important thoroughfares, due to its proximity to the Stock Exchange. Both the Church of the Carmelites (on the left) and the cross were demolished in 1797 during the French occupation of the city. The street to the right is the Huidevettersstraat.
This watercolour was subsequently etched by Wright and Schultz and then published by R. Ackermann, 1 August 1797.
Illustrated: John Hayes, Rowlandson – watercolours and drawings, Phaidon Press, London, 1972, no. 91, p.155
Reference: An unsigned and undated version in the Victoria and Albert Museum